src

Sunday 18 March 2012

There is no positive way to "brand" someone.

Posted by Lauren Marion at 3/18/2012 10:28:00 pm
It's hard to walk down the street without categorizing people. "Emo" (dark clothes, dark make-up), "gay" (styled hair), "wannabe" (fake tan, high heels) are just some of things I can hear others' minds shouting as individuals walk by. We seem to have this misconception that it's okay to judge people because they're young..when it's not. Probably the thing teens fear the most is what others think. Okay, people aren't actually shouting abuse at random youngsters but that doesn't make it any better.

Why are we all given names? Can't we all just be human? Must we be reduced to being a label? If you wear your hair in a certain way you're "scene" and your background has to determine how far you'll get. I don't see how that's possibly fair.

Cher Lloyd recently featured heavily in a programme about bullying in which she told viewers she receives at least ten tweets per day calling her a "dirty pikey". This really got my attention but what shocked me more was how much it affected her. It just shows that regardless of how many fans you have that love you to bits, it's the little negative comments that stick. How can we be so harsh when we don't know her? Those people are just jealous, they really are, but it's hard to see that their opinion doesn't matter when it causes so much upset.


Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge people we know little about. Where do we draw that line between having an opinion and bullying? Think before you decide to choose negativity, it's most definitely not the way forward.

1 comments:

Introvert-on-the-Internet on 30 August 2012 at 22:29 said...

This is a great point to have made. I have been judged all my life and people have bullied me even if they don't know me just because of the way I look and act. Just because I act a bit weird around people I don't really know. They don't even bother to get to know me. They just judge and that hurts a lot.

Post a Comment

 

Hearts & Minds of a New Generation Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos