src

Tuesday 12 June 2012

Everything is Designed, Few Things are Designed Well

Posted by Lauren Marion at 6/12/2012 11:35:00 pm
As I read back the notes from my interview with 21-year old Jade, I realise what a remarkable girl she really is. Despite not turning up to school much and dropping out at 15, she still got the best marks possible. Living with a younger brother and sister with more than a fair share of family drama, at age 16 she got a part-time job, while starting an entry-level college course to what would eventually become a way to earn her degree in graphic design.

“Growing up in Glasgow was quite good”, she tells me, and “I wouldn’t have wanted to live anywhere else. I grew up in rough places but I had a really happy childhood, you learn to appreciate things when you move to other places.”

I asked her when she realised she wanted to become a graphic designer, “Quite late I guess compared to some people; I think I was about 16. I had studied a few courses including Communications and Media and the whole time I can remember thinking 'I want this to look like this'. I was more focused on the layout than anything else so after that I knew that’s what I wanted to do, graphic design.  When I went into it I didn't really know what it was about, I didn't even know what typography was and that's like one of the main things in graphic design, it’s now my favourite thing.”

Having often been branded a ‘teacher’s pet’ myself I wanted to know if Jade put herself in that category too, “Erm, not really, I was always quite smart at school. Quiet in class but outside of class I was quite loud and obnoxious. In first year I was quite smart and quiet and then when it got to about second year, I got in with the wrong crowd and started smoking during lunch breaks. I was still smarter than them, I was in top classes but I wish I had gone into school more instead of thinking 'I can't be bothered'. For all of my exams I got As, despite the fact that I wasn't in for most of that year. So I did well but I left when I was 15 and went to college which I regret because doing your exams in school is probably easier than college but at the same time that's when I found out I wanted to be a graphic designer.”

“I think it's important to still try and do your best at school because when you get older it is a lot harder. Most people should stay and stick it at school even until fifth year at least because it does make it a lot easier trying to get into uni.”

The obvious question for me to ask was ‘What logo do you wish you’d designed?’ “That's a hard one, the obvious choice would be the Nike logo but that was designed by a student who literally just did a tick for a competition and they basically thought 'oh, that's an awesome logo' and it became their whole brand identity. I don't think there's just one logo I wish I'd designed because there's just so many that are just so great, I can't just choose one.”
Everyone idolises someone in their profession, Jade says “I quite like a lot of illustrators at the moment and handwritten letters which is like handwritten typography. Someone called Alison Carmichael and another lady called Johanna Basford, their stuff is all handwritten styles. They do so many adverts, you'd probably recognise some of their stuff. Johanna Basford did the Christmas one for Buchanan Galleries with all of the Christmas decorations and candy canes and stuff, it's really nice, I didn't actually realise it was her until I went onto her website. I'm quite into that at the moment and they're probably the people that I aspire to be like. It's good to be good at typography and graphic design but to have a particular niche like that; it's quite in demand at the moment."

Without coming across too negative I asked Jade if she ever wishes she had gone down a different profession, “Yeah, probably every day” she nods, to my surprise, “because it's quite stressful and a lot of people don't understand. For example, if you meet someone for the first time and they say, ' what do you do?' and you say 'oh I'm a graphic designer' so they're like 'right, okay!' because they don't really understand what it is that you do. People tend to think it's just sitting on a computer all day or drawing a quick logo but it's not. There are times where you're designing something that you think is just no good , other times where you do something and you think it's amazing, and then two weeks later you think 'no, it's not good'. I think it's quite good to be like that though because if you always think that your work's great then there's not going to be any room for improvements. I do wish I'd chosen a different profession sometimes but at the same time I can't imagine myself doing anything else.”

“Hopefully with a fancy kitchen from Dwell!” she giggles as to where she sees herself in five years’ time. However, on the more serious note, she says, “I'd quite like to move to Manchester because they've got a lot of really good design studios that are quite young and professional, London as well but I think Manchester more so because it's not as busy. Hopefully I'll just be in a small design studio but one that's really good.”

Throughout her college years Jade maintained her part-time job, gaining more responsibilities and often working the equivalent of four full days a week. All this while studying extremely hard yet still managing to be a typical student; partying through the night and living (or should I say mudding) it up at festivals such as Sonisphere and Download. 

Since the interview Jade has bagged herself a full-time job in graphic design starting someday very soon, while continuing to do her own freelance work under the name iambiko. I wish Jade the very best of luck with her new job and I'm sure it won't be long until she's partying hard in Manchester.

Check out Jade's website iambiko.com

1 comments:

Pelocha on 13 June 2012 at 14:43 said...

Nice interview :)

Post a Comment

 

Hearts & Minds of a New Generation Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos