src

Sunday 2 December 2012

Could you live without your iPod?

Posted by Lauren Marion at 12/02/2012 08:26:00 pm
It's hard to imagine that about ten years ago none of it really existed. Having a personal laptop and mobile phone with unlimited internet access wasn't actually a key part of being a teenager. The lack of Wi-Fi access was hardly a priority for everyday living. Technology has advanced so rapidly since I was born, it's impossible for me to know what it must have been like for my parents growing up.

Originally in 2001 the iPod was created as a device to listen to music, I'm told to replace the rather popular Sony walkman, and that was all. Yet the latest generation of iPods, which are now touch screen, connect to Wi-Fi and have a huge range of apps from social networks such as Twitter and Facebook to Pedometers, Magazines and instant translators. You can FaceTime anyone with an Apple device anywhere in the world, making miles between loved ones completely immaterial. Costing around £170 from Apple, it may be a little more expensive than previous personal music devices but it is more of a personal hand held computer.

For my 14th birthday this year, I was given my very own 8GB iPod touch. I had wanted one for ages and now, 6 months later, I can't remember what I did without it. I can barely leave the house without it in my handbag or slipped into the pocket of my jeans. The wide range of accessories solely available for the iPod shows just how popular they are. Most of my Scottish friends have one, if not an iPhone or often both.

We're all so impatient and the notion of waiting just isn't an option nowadays. Tram stations in cities actually have free Wi-fi, to make your ten minute wait a little less of a chore. It's quite rare to find a bar or restaurant without a free Wi-Fi connection and most shopping centres have it too. A quick flick through the latest magazine that's just been sent to your iPod or checking out your favourite artists' brand new music video makes time pass a little faster for our overstimulated generation.

At home my iPod is always near me, whether I'm listening to music via my docking station or using it to chat to friends, it always prevents any form of boredom. Is this because I don't know how to entertain myself without it? From my point of view: No. I think I could easily live without it, but I'm hoping that's not something I'll ever have to experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Hearts & Minds of a New Generation Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos