src

Monday 9 April 2012

JLS 4th Dimension Tour

Posted by Lauren Marion at 4/09/2012 11:34:00 pm
Last week (April 5th) I went to see JLS on their tour at the SECC in Glasgow. At £35 a ticket the boys were expected to put on a big show. Going in, I could tell what kind of audience this was going to be. Hoards of young girls ran by every few seconds with their JLS hoodies(£30) and foam fingers(£12), average age of the girls was probably about ten years old.

When I went in, the first support act were already on stage and as I got to my seat their set was just finishing. I was sat at the front of Block LL very close to the stage, on the aisle end at an angle. This meant no one was in front of me, my view was amazing, I could see every move. The second support act Vida came on stage after a short message from Oritsé promoting them. The girls performed a small collection of their own songs but it was clear their "swag" was more important than the vocal or lyrical content. Maybe the act was better from a distance? As the performance went on, their singing got shakier and their debut single failed to impress the arena. Starboy Nathan was the last support act, he had two dancers and really got the crowd going. He performed his brand new single 'Who Am I' and everyone joined in with the chorus. He also performed his big hit from last year 'Diamonds' and the whole arena sang along. 

A security man came and spoke to the people sat in my area to inform us that "the band would walk by" and that we weren't to "jump out or grab them". This got my friends and I extremely excited! After a twenty minute break a video came on the screens explaining JLS' mission, they had to pass 4 dimensions to collect their gems (which were of course their trademark colours). There was then a 10 second countdown and one by one JLS came down, on wires onto a second stage in the middle of the audience. It was very theatrical to watch and the roar of the screaming arena was quite incredible. They began to sing and it was made clear that no matter what, the vocals were not lost. Aston has an amazing range! After a couple of songs it was time for them to walk through the audience to the main stage. Marvin and JB took on my side of the arena while Aston and Oritsé went via the other way. I put my hand out as they went by and got to hold Marvin's hand, just for a second. It was hard to believe that I had just touched Marvin Humes' hand! 


The second dimension of the tour was very colourful and striking to watch. Say what you like about these boys but you cannot deny their talent for dancing, the routines showed a wide variety of dance moves and brought something fresh.

Amongst all of their own hits, the boys performed a cover of Labrinth's 'Earthquake'. This included flying across the stage on wires, faceless dancers, lightsabers and fire! It really felt like I was captured in the moment. When they came down, the band got onto a triangular platform and glided across the audience onto the alternative stage for a second time. 


Whilst the boys continued to blast out their biggest hits with amazing dance routines, security gathered in the aisles once again to prepare for them passing back to the main stage. I was so excited and knew what to expect this time as Aston and Oritsé came by. I actually got to touch both of them, their arms were ridiculously muscley and really very sweaty. The next 5 minutes consisted of me jumping around and swooning over the fact that I TOUCHED JLS!

In the last part of the tour the boys interacted with the crowd a bit more, they did a medley of covers including 'OMG', 'Beautiful People' and 'Yeah x3'. The lads certainly know how to work a crowd. Aston was talking to the fans while Marvin and Oritsé wiped down and then threw their towel into the audience, good banter. They then thanked their fans for everything and came across as very humble and genuine guys. It's refreshing to see such successful popstars actually appreciating what they have. They work so hard and deserve every success. A very happy Glasgow crowd left the SECC that night and I guarantee there were no disappointed fans any other night of the tour. In one word...stunning!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Hearts & Minds of a New Generation Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos