src

Thursday 10 May 2012

The Man of the Moment

Posted by Lauren Marion at 5/10/2012 08:25:00 pm

I write this review whilst singing along to ‘Bones’, one of the tracks on Lewis Watson’s EP ‘It’s Got Four Sad Songs On It BTW’. I first heard about the 19 year old singer/songwriter via twitter, people were raving about him. I checked out his YouTube channel, which has over 34,000 subscribers and 3 million views, and fell in love with his raw voice. Being just him and his guitar, he’s often compared to Ed Sheeran but Lewis is completely different. It’s like comparing nutella and peanut butter, they’re just as good but in different ways.  After listening to a couple of his covers, I bought his single #3 on iTunes. 

Soon after that, on the 12th April, his independently released EP was available on iTunes. Buying this turned out to be one of my better decisions of late and now I can’t seem to get enough of him. It’s not just his music everyone is going mad about, it’s his sweet, yet crazy, self too. I love how he tries to tweet back to as many fans on twitter as he can, constantly thanking them for their support or even just for buying his music. He’s currently selling physical copies of ‘It’s Got Four Sad Songs On It BTW’ via his website, promising to customise every single one with a requested message/signature. According to his Instagram, the last one he signed was #619!

‘What About Today?’ is the first song on the EP and opens simply with the sound of a guitar. Throughout the song, Lewis’ backing vocal gives it a very fresh and pretty sound. The song is about being constantly confused as to why someone loves you one minute but not the next, with the main line in the song being ‘Well you loved me last night, but what about today?’

The next song is ‘Windows’, my personal favourite. I love the opening line of  "I'm not here to startle you, hell, I only came 'cause you asked me to". It just feels real and down to earth, I guess. The lyrics are beautiful and everybody can relate to missing somebody and no matter what you do, you still wish they could be there with you. I'm sure this one has lots of girls sobbing into their pillow.

Track number 3 is called ‘Bones’,  the first single from the EP. It’s one of those love songs you wish was about you and dream about someone singing it to you. It’s Got Four Sad Songs On It BTW closes with ‘Nothing’, the gorgeous song about doing anything for that one person you love because without them you are…nothing.

With so much talent at the age of only 19 we should expect big things from Mr.Watson. He’s already had plays on MTV, AKA and 1Xtra and had recognition from the likes of Ed Sheeran, Wiley and Charlie Simpson.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Hearts & Minds of a New Generation Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos